The form of a verb that is not certain whether an action is being done or has been completed completely, that verb comes under the present indefinite tense. Present indefinite tense is used to present general truth, habitual activities, and to bring alive and clear narration of some past incident and fixed arrangements.
For example- I walk, he goes, She read books., etc.
Use of Simple present/Indefinite tense
Present simple/indefinite tense is used in the following situations.
1. To satisfy that some action is happening at present.
- See, how he runs.
- Raju is absent because he is ill
2. To indicate a habitual action
- He goes to school every day.
- The train comes late, regularly.
3. Simple present is also used to indicate general truths-
- Water boils at 100’C.
- The sun rises in the east.
- Sunday is a holiday.
4. To express a situation or a fact that is permanent or to bring alive and clear narration of some past incident.
- Davis bows before Krishna on the battlefield.
- Birbal works in the court of Akbar.
- Agra stands on the bank of the Yamuna.
5. To express a planned future action-
- I leave for Delhi tomorrow.
- We start the match after three hours.
6. To being imperative sentences-
- Respect your elders.
- Obey your teacher.
- The 1st form of the verb is used.
- While making a sentence, first the subject is followed by the verb, and then the object is used.
- He, she, it, this, that, and singular nouns have s or es at the end of the verb. eg. he goes,
Formula / Structure
|Affirmative – Subject + verb(1st form + s or es) + object.||He plays.|
|Negative – Subject + do/does + not + verb(1st form) + object.||He does not play.|
We do not play.
|Questions – Do/does + Sub + verb(1st form) + object + ?||Does he play?|
Do I play?
Forming the simple present tense:
|I play||Do I play?||I do not play|
|He goes||Does he go?||he does not go|
|She sings||Does she sing?||she does not sing|
|She thinks||Does she think?||She does not think|
|It works||Does it work?||It does not work|
|We read.||Do we read?||We do not read.|
|They come||Do they come?||They do not come.|
For Affirmative sentences
- I write a letter.
- We sing a song.
- They play football.
- She goes to Shimla every year.
- You always tell a lie.
- They believe in God.
- He loves me.
- He always comes late.
- He goes to the river.
- Priya eats food.
For Negative Sentences
- Ram does not go to school.
- My father does not go to the market.
- Rita does not cook.
- Kavita does not knit sweaters.
- They do not watch cricket.
- We do not go to college.
- He does not remember his chapter.
- Rahul does not do his homework.
- She does not write poetry.
- Radha does not sing the song.
For Interrogative Sentence
There are two types of interrogative sentences
- Does he eat food?
- Do you go to Shimla?
- Do they play cards?
- Does Dad go to the farm?
- Does Jyoti learn sewing?
- Do you like me?
- Does the baby cry?
- Does Mom cook the food?
- Does Dad read the news?
- Does it rain?
Question-word (WH) question Sentence
- Do you like her very much?
- What do you do?
- Why do you go to the market?
- What books do you read?
- What do teachers teach?
- Why do you hate him?
- how do you know him?
- In which class do you study?
- Where do you live?
- Who lives in your house?
For Interrogative – negative sentences
- Do you not know him?
- Don’t you remember me?
- Why don’t you eat food?
- Don’t you know him?
- Why don’t you do your work?
- Why do you not want to go there?
- Why does Ram not go to school?
- Mother, why don’t you cook?
- Does Ravi not know us?
- Do you not want to come with us?
30 simple present tense examples
We cook dinner together.
We read books before bed.
The rain falls from the sky.
I want to start a business.
I do not want to meet him.
Do you watch movies?
Do you want to go there?
Do you want to help him?
They study for exams.
The sun rises in the east.
She likes to read books.
We live in a big house.
I work as a teacher.
The train arrives at 9 o’clock.
She sings beautifully.
We eat dinner at 7 p.m.
Do you want to go to Agra?
Do you know him?
Where do you go?
Why do you sleep so much?
I want to go to Mumbai.
Birds build nests in trees.
He exercises at the gym.
They clean their room every Saturday.
She cooks delicious meals.
We enjoy going to the beach.
Do you study English?
We watch movies at the cinema.